Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Yellow is the color of the week


So I like I said last week I opened my mouth and said that I would do up another 500pts for my Lamenters Army for Aaron’s Badab Wars Campaign.  True to my word, I have started painting up the Assault Squad that will help get me there.  I have primed all of the models white and then used Gryphonne Sepia to wash the models and ‘pre-shade’ them before I start putting down the yellow base coat. 


Really I washed the models to help me avoid those damned annoying little white spots that always manage to crop up in the deepest darkest recesses of the models.  Also, it will help dull the brightness of the model just a tad.  I have gone in and put down the yellow coat of Iyanden Darksun using my spiffy new brushes.  I have also tried out something a bit different as well.  I am using Liquitex Flow Aid (diluted down per instructions). 

I think the hardest part about using the Flow Aid is that I am no longer licking my brushes.  Before I would roll my tongue and lick my brushes to help with keep the brushes moist. Now…not so much…odd chemicals coursing through my body, probably not the best of ideas.  I am trying to clean off my brush after every two or three dips in the paint.  So far I really like how the paint flows off of these new brushes. 


Another thing I am doing is avoiding painting in the recessed areas of the models where the wash has dried and created a nice shaded area.  So far so good, though I still need to work on my brush control because I am going to have to go back in at a later stage and re-apply some wash to even out some of my mistakes and to help deepen those shadows.  Of course you read any of the little painting tutorials and this is one of the first steps they talk about doing.  Well, guess I am a bit behind the curve. Won’t be the first time and definitely won’t be the last time. 

Of future events, I am going to try and make it down to Arizona this year to attend a convention put on by the folks over at Battlefoam Bags.  They are going to have a tourney for both Warhammer 40k and for Warmachine/Hordes so I need to decide which event I want to attend.  I have made up a 2000pt list for the 40k, now I just need to figure out what I want to bring for the Warmachine/Hordes Tourney.   This is all pending I can save up the money to buy the plane tickets and Convention ticket and and and…to many ands.  Never hurts to make plans in advance though.  

Well here is for hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment