Monday, September 5, 2011

The hammer falls...

So here are the pictures that I have promised.

I have only had about 3 hours to work on Gorton Grundback but I have gotten pretty far on him. I started by doing the metals. Following my usual pattern, I first layed down a base coat of Tin Bitz (Citadel) and then I drybrushed over the Tin Bitz with Boltgun Metal (Citadel). I really like the ‘aged’ look it gives to the metal, hence why I do it so much. I then got started in on the next biggest part of the model which is Gorton’s armor. I put down a few smooth layers of Gretchin Green (Citadel Foundation), followed by a heavy wash of Devlan Mud (Citadel Wash), and finally with a top coat of Traitor Green (P3). I edged the armor with a mix of Traitor Green and Bleached Bone (Citadel). It added a nice little high light to the armor and separated all of the armor plates nicely. The pictures are pretty dark so that separation is a bit hard to see…one of these days I will get myself a proper light-box.



The next thing I am going to do is work on the rest of the metal parts. Kaleb K. told me a great technique for getting a very ‘warm’ gold and I am going to use it on Gorton. If I can pull it off, this will also be the technique I use on the golds for the Constance Blaize list. It starts with a coat of Iyanden Darksun (Citadel Foundation), followed by a coat of Titanium Gold (Tamiya), and a light wash of Devlan Mud. Again this creates a great ‘warm’ gold color that I think will compliment and offset the dirty nature of Gorton’s armor.

Gorton has been painting up fairly quickly. I know he is a small model but the detail on him is still pretty solid. I have been wanting to paint and to play the Rhulic Folk for a while now. I am not sure why I am always drawn to the Dwarf factions in all the games I play but I just am. Dwarven Bloodbowl Team: The Pistonberg Steelers. My last two D&D Characters have been Dwarves. I even had a Dwarf Army for Fantasy…not that I played it but that is beside the point.



I like the look of the models, pretty simple really. The gun-bunnies (a.k.a. Grundback Gunner and the Grundback Blaster) are great little light jacks; the Driller, the Avalancher, and the Basher all have a great look about them. The infantry models are solid (every pun intended) and while they don’t have a lot of choices, I like the aesthetics about the faction as is. Now I am not playing a Searforge Contract this time around. I am playing these mercs as a part of the Highborne Covenant which gives me access to some other great models that offer a ton of tactical variety. My initial 15pt list is Gorton Grundback, a Driller, two Grundback Gunners, and a unit of Gun Mages. The jump up to 25pts sees me add the ATGM Officer and a Mule (Critical Devestating Sniped Cannon fire = fun). At 35pts I will add in a full unit of Forge Guard, the Piper of Ord, Gorman Di Wulfe, and Thor.

These seem to be a pretty sound set of lists…of course no plan survives first contact with the enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment