Monday, July 4, 2011

A Tale of Two Tiers

So in a remarkable fit of self-restraint, I have chosen NOT to purchase a Khador Army for a Tale of Two Tiers. What I have chosen instead is to work with the models I currently possess and work on painting them up instead.

Don’t get me wrong, I will have to purchase a few models here and there but currently I pretty much own at least 90% of the models for both Armies.

But Grant, you are all saying, WHAT is ‘A Tale of Two Tiers?’

Pretty simple actually…I am going to work on painting up two 50pt Tier 4 Lists.

I have always liked the fluff that Privateer Press puts out. It is one of the main reasons why I love the game…it isn’t a static story line that gets ret-conned every time a new edition/codex comes out to make it all fit together. Privateer makes all their stories flow fairly well and the continuity between books is amazing. The figures are generally pretty damn beautiful (there are some I look at and wonder), plus I like the rules-set much better than Warhammer 40k.

Being the Fluff Whore that I am, I have been itching to put together a Tier List and I have really been itching to play a ‘Knight’ Theme list with Cygnar. With the release of Wrath and Constance Blaize, I can play that fluffy Knight themed army with her Tier List. Admittedly, her Tier List is okay and like most tier lists you lose out on a TON of options and/or versatility for your Army (Pssst…when I play her in a High Bourne Covenant List, she will have a few Nomads to work with), but you do however get a pretty sweet Theme to work with. So here are the two lists I will be working on.

Tier List One: Army of Light
Battlegroup:
Constance Blaize, Knight of the Prophet
- Gallant
- Centurion

Units:
Precursor Knights x10
- Precursor Knight Officer & Standard
Precursor Knights x10
- Precursor Knight Officer & Standard
Sword Knights x10
- Sword Knight Officer & Standard
Field Mechanics x4
Field Mechanics x4

Solos:
Journeyman Warcaster (Alt Sculpt)
Archduke Alain Runewood
Harlan Versh, Illuminated One

Thoughts on the Army of Light:
I own all of the figures except for those figures that have not yet been released and one unit of Field Mechanics. I am not entirely sold on including two units of Mechanics and I can go one of two ways with them. I can either field a full unit of 6 Mechanics (with 1 point left over) or I ditch both units and include a minimum unit of Sword Knights. Any way you look at it, I will have to buy one more unit to make the 50pts

Tier List Two: Apex Predators
Battlegroup:
Bloody Barnabas
- Blackhide Wrastler
- Blackhide Wrastler
- Ironback Spitter

Units:
Bog Trog Ambushters x10
Gatorman Posse x5
Gatorman Posse x5

Solos:
Croak Hunter
Croak Hunter
Croak Hunter

Thoughts on Apex Predators:
I will have to purchase a full unit of Gatorman for this list…and seriously who doesn’t love some Gatorman!? The Ironback Spitter is optional and can be swapped out for some Bull Snappers; still kind of one the fence out this one thou.

Now, not to contradict myself here, so I am going to just toss this one out there:

I do remember saying that I didn’t like Hordes or the Fury mechanic very much (I am still not a big fan of it), but after seeing my Gators on the field the other day when I let a friend borrow them so we could play a small 15pt Mangled Metal/Tooth & Claw game, it made me really want to finish painting up the Minion figures I have. I currently own Bloody Barnabas, Calaban the Gravewalker, 1 Gatorman Posse, a Full Unit of Bog Trogs, 3 Croak Hunters, the Feral Geist, 2 Blackhide Wrastlers, 2 Ironback Spitters, 2 Bull Snappers, the Swamp Gobbers, Alten Ashley, Victor Pendrake, Wrongeye & Snapjaw, and a Thrullg. Might as well get them all painted…eventually! Hey I am only human and therefore fallible. Plus I may have mentioned it once or twice, before I have Faction ADD pretty bad.

That being said…this project is by no means going to be a quick project. I am not the fastest painter in the world and some of the units are going to take a bit longer than the others. Most of the Gator figs are screaming to be drybrushed and honestly they look pretty good on the table. The majority of the ‘Knights’ are done with Metallics and so should also progress along at a fairly decent pace. Other figs are going to need a bit more love and attention to work with, yes I am looking at you Croak Hunters.

So there you have it. Two 50pt lists to be painted one figure/unit at a time till they are all done. Looks like I need to order those bases from Dragonforge.com after all for the Army of Light, you know, since my Gators all have spiffy bases…I hate to see one Army get jealous of the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment