Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Borka's Drinking Buddies


There is an event on the Privateer Press Forums called “A Slightly More Possible Dream” that I have decided to take part in.  Basically, you have a 35 point list and you have one month to paint it up and then you play in a tourney with other folks who have done the same thing…now I am horrible at meeting painting deadlines, Nov 16th in this case, but damn it, I am sure going to try!

Well I am going to be painting up a 35 point list (or trying my damnedest to do so) and while no one else is participating in Redding, I still plan to play the list in the next tourney and see how I do. 

I did choose a list that is not very model heavy because as the world’s slowest painter and I wanted to make sure that I have time to paint it all up.  Now I have been playing this list quite a bit lately in casual play and so far it has treated me well.

Borka’s Drinking Buddies (for a Slightly More Possible Dream)
Borka Kegslayer – WB: +5
Pyg Carrier
Dire Troll Mauler - PC:9
Troll Axer - PC: 6

 
Fell Caller Hero – PC: 3
Trollkin Champion Hero – PC: 3

 
Trollkin Champions – Leader & 4 Grunts: PC: 10
Skaldi Bonehammer – PC: 3
Sons of Bragg – Wrathar, Tor & Rhudd: PC 6

Just about every model in the list has weapon master which I really didn’t notice until I was staring at the cards one night while I was playing a game and Borka is just fun to play.  I love the sculpt for the model and his fluff is pretty great also.  On top of that he has some pretty solid spell list…and considering he only has three spells that is saying a lot.  I gave him a Mauler and an Axer and so far they have acquitted themselves rather well on the battle field.  The Trollkin Champions + Skaldi + Champion Hero + Fell Caller Hero is a pretty brutal combo that, pending the love of the dice gods, generally tend to wreck face pretty well.  The Sons of Bragg are a great character unit that can stand on their own and are a viable threat to most pieces on the table.

The one down side to the list is of course the low model count.  When you think about it, I only have 14 models on the table and one of those models is carrying a keg and doesn’t do much other than top off Borka with a few extra Fury.  I mean once I start losing models, the games tend to go downhill rather quickly for me. 

All in all, I am really enjoying the list and have even bought a few of those ‘crutch’ models that make the Trollblood synergies really come to life.  I have a full unit of Fennblades + UA and I picked up a unit of Kriel Stone Bearers + UA but I shall not get ahead of myself.  Before I put any paint down on any other model until Nov 16th (other than primer of course),  I must and shall paint up the above list.  I’ll post progress pictures as I finish up each model.

On the plus side, there is a possibility that the armies painted up for this little painting shin-dig could end up in an issue of No Quarter.  How cool would that be, my table-top quality models on display in a magazine. 

HAHAHAHA epic…extra incentive…must finish painting them up!

Off to the painting table I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment