Thursday, December 8, 2011

Slooooooooowwww Dooooooowwwwnnnnn

Things have hit a slow down for me.  I can think of lots of reasons why but mostly they just end up being pretty lame excuses.  Life shall be the broad category that all those excuses and reasons go under…needless to say; I haven’t painted quite as much as I should have this month.  I am just about finished with Lug and if I am going to try my best to get him finished up this weekend. 

Once I get Lug all done I am going to move on to Brun Cragback.  He doesn’t look like a terribly hard model to paint up since at least a 2/5’s the model is taken up by the cloak, which I have already painted up.  After Brun, I am not really sure what I want to do.  I still have Durgan and the Blaster to paint up but I kinda want to get started painting up some Blindwater Congregation.   I have also decided in my infinite wisdom to do a project log for one of the model(s) I paint up for the Congregation. 

Why you might ask…and the answer comes back as I don’t know.   Not like I am using a huge range of colors in my models.  Most of them run about 3 main colors and then a few washes and a couple layers of highlights and shadows but I do get a clean looking model out of it and that is what I want.  Maybe documenting every stage will show me places where I can introduce a new step or add an additional color.  For example, I was reading in the back of Hordes: Domination how they studio painters painted up the Swamp Horror…a retarded amount of insane steps.  The model looks amazing but holy jeebus, after reading that project log it made me realize how much of a novice I am at painting and how little I know about color theory. 

I also had the chance to see one of my friends paint up some Retribution models.  Quick and simple he says.  Admittedly on the warjacks I could tell it was pretty much all airbrushed but his Warcaster Kaylyssa was just beautiful looking and he says it was a ‘quickie’.  I cried a little bit on the inside.  Just goes to show you that practice makes perfect.  One day, in ten or twelve years, I’ll get to that point, one model at a time. 

This is what I have accomplished in the past two weeks…I know be amazed for it is truly underwhelming.  Hopefully next week I’ll have a finished giant bear!  I actually did quite a bit of small detail work.  I finished up the padding under Lug’s armor, added a layer of silver highlights to the armor, blacked out the leather straps and metal rings, and I even did up most of the leather straps around the bear’s torso.  I made the spurs on the armor look like bone spikes, so while I didn’t finish Lug, I did a lot of stuff to get to the goal of finishing him up.

No comments:

Post a Comment