Monday, July 5, 2010

I has a coin! Hindsight is 20/20. Common Courtesies

Well the past two weeks haven't quite been that dramatic (at least one of them wasn't). I haven't gotten any painting done in about three weeks. I know, I know, shame on me. With a looming deadline to get Kara finished for the Privateer Press Forum Painting Compitition. On the other hand, I have glued together a TON of mini's for both my Circle Orboros List and my Warriors of Chaos army so while I haven't been productive with a paintbrush, I have been productive doing other hobby related things.

Some good news to report. I did take the Ladder for the Blasted Heath League and earned the League Coin, which I happen to think is pretty cool. I ended up with about 50ish or so points ahead of the next closest competitor, which goes to show you that the Ladder (any ladder) is based upon how often you can show up. I made it a point to show up every night and get in at least one 35pt game. I lost quite a few but because I had the most amount of games played I won the Ladder. I was a bit disappointed in the turn-out of players compared to the Nightfall leg of the Shattered Grounds League but I know that there was a whole-lotta-Warmachine going on for the past 6 months and folks needed to take a break.

Some bad news to report. I have been removed from the Pressgangers for violating policy. Specifically the Code of Conduct...I didn't even make it past the first paragraph.

To be exact, this is an excerpt taken from the PG Basic Information.pdf:

"Code of Conduct

Members of the Press Gang are expected to maintain a code of conduct. You’re a legitimate Privateer Press representative on official Press Gang business! Members are expected to act courteously and professionally, always putting their best foot forward. Failure to follow the code of conduct can result in suspension or removal from the Press Gang program."

And as it says, Failure to follow the code of conduct can result in suspension or removal from the Press Gang program...and it my case it meant removal.

I messed up, plain and simple. No other way around it. While there is a huge debate going on between myself, a bunch of friends, and one of the local gaming stores as to whether I was acting in an official capacity as a Pressganger (well there is more to it than that but I am not going to get into it. Needless to say I wrote over 3 pages, single spaced, for my point of view of the problem)...it doesn't change the fact that I messed up. I got too comfortable around people and in the store and had no idea that the actions I was doing would have such far reaching consequences for me. Then again as we all know...Hindsight is 20/20.

For me at least and I know I can't speak for the rest of the human race, but if some action that a friend committed is really bugging me, then as that person's friend I feel obligated to tell that person to their face what is wrong. Hopefully my blatant honesty doesn't cost me a friend, but if it does, that is the risk I knew I was taking and I was willing to accept the consequences.

In this case however, I was completely bypassed. Instead of talking to me first, the offended party(ies) went straight to the Quartermaster. I honestly do just wish folks would have talked to me and allowed me to correct my actions before things spiraled so far out of control. It didn't happen that way and things progressed along a different course. Such is life, time to move on, and when things calm down a bit I will try and make amends with everyone involved.

I have a feeling that some people will never see any of my apologies as being sincere, no matter how many times I tell them they are but everyone is different and everyone is entitled to have their own opinion. So the best thing I can do is learn from my mistakes and hopefully never commit them again.

So from here on out I will remember all of those common courtesies that we were all taught in Kindergarten:

1) Remember to say please and thank you.
2) Chew with your mouth closed.
3) Keep your elbows off the table when you are eating.
4) If you burp, say 'excuse me'.
5) Be polite and be mindful of everyone else around you.
6) Treat others how you want to be treated
7) Clean up after yourself
8) Share
9) Win respectfully and lose graciously
10) Perception is everything

Okay, so that last two we didn't learn in Kindergarten but they are worth remembering none-the-less.

No comments:

Post a Comment